Re: LF: CLASS D and E

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: CLASS D and E
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:46:52 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Mal,

with my 136kHz PA (variant of the G3YXM Class-D push-pull) I get 450W output with 56V/9.5A supply, thus 85% efficiency.

I once tried a 50W class-E PA and got over 90% efficiency with correct load (50 Ohm). But the efficiency of the class-E was very sensitive to mismatch and for higher power levels the required values of L,C and supply voltage were rather inconvenient.

Regarding components: I use coils wound on a thin PVC former (with sufficient thick wire) and polyprop capacitors. As both in class-D and class-E amplifiers the FET's are used as switch (on/off device) they must be fast enough en have a low on-resistance. The higher the frequency the faster it needs to be.

73, Rik  ON7YD

Quoting hamilton mal <[email protected]>:

Hi all
Class D and E amplifiers are supposed to give around 80/90 % efficiency. Has
anyone actually achieved these figures. It seems anything above 60% is hard
to arrive at using normal coils/capacitors.

73 de  Mal/G3KEV