Re: LF: 137 khz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 137 khz
From: Wolfgang Büscher <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:32:33 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Paul-Henrik,

I am not sure if this applies to the NRD-91 too, but with serveral radios used here (including, but not limited to KenwoodYaesuIcom), it's important not only to turn the AGC function off, but also to turn the manual RF gain down far enough, so the audio output level is a few dB below the normal output level (with AGC on, and RF gain at maximum). This avoids clipping in the IF or AF stages; providing enough headroom for stronger signals. In all cases, this cured the effect of "blanked QRSS screens" from neighbouring stations on 137 kHz.

Cheers,
 Wolf DL4YHF .

(... called CQ for hours last weekend in normal CW from DK4U; no reply; but the antenna current meter jumped up to 2 Ampere which is the "mid-winter value". Looking forward for more activity soon; and possibly some 500m / 2200m crossband activity ...)

Paul-Henrik schrieb:
I'm afraid I need a different receiver to sort that tight inferno out. The AGC
off position of my NRD-91 RX does not completely turn off the AGC and the
result is too much blanking in the FFT-picture from the stronger stations.
Maybe I should try the FT-980 with a homebrew downconverter instead.

Thanks for the info Uwe!

73's

Paul-Henrik