Re: LF: New best DX?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: New best DX?
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:13:54 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hello LFers

I had previously described an antenna for 500kHz on this reflector which used an HF quad and its feeder fed against ground using a suitable ATU. The calculated gain of this antenna is around -20dBi. This arrangement is described in the latest RadCom in the 'Antennas' column The caption should read 500kHz not 150kHz). This antenna worked well on receive and I heard OK0EMW's CW using it (thanks for the Rx QSL card Lubos).

I finally got around to making a transmitter. It comprises a PL509 sweep tube in class AB1 driven by my HB DDS (previously used for 73 and 136kHz). My first QSO was with Chris G3XIZ who gave me 589. I was called by (I think) G3YHV but lost him due to QRN. I later tail ended GM4SLV in QSO with a G and after a difficult start (339) the signal improved to 559 during the QSO and faded right out at the end. Later I heard John working G3UNT. At that time I was unable to hear John. Later heard G3UNT (who has an S9 signal here) working F6CNI, PA4PCH and CT1ANZ cross band.
Thanks for a great QSO John. I now have the locator business sorted now.

Regards

Peter, G3LDO