Re: LF: XBand 500kz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: XBand 500kz
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:18:47 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
On 31 Oct 2007 at 16:42, [email protected] wrote:

> Thanks Mal  G3KEV, for the xband contact tonight. I was using 50 watts
>  to a 80/40 trap dipole. One of the problems with dual receive was the
> loss of  the 500 khz signal when the auto atu was in cct for 80m. So
> at the end of each  transmission I had to switch the atu out of cct. I
> apologise for the  morse, I am not used to qso'ing on the key. I can
> usually manage the rubber  stamp stuff for dx chasing and contesting,
> but qso'ing will require more  practice. I have had a nearly
> retirement gift from the company I work for, of a  Kent brass straight
> key, so have no excuses when I retire just before Xmas. I  used the
> rigs inbuilt keyer with a Bencher paddle tonight and that runs away
> with me sometimes. I will track down John GM4SLV for a cross band
> contact.  I heard him on this evening and called him a couple of times
> on the 80m  frequency before I had the contact with you. We have been
> in contact  through email nearly from the start of his operations on
> 500Khz. So thanks again Mal and 73. Mike G3YPE

Just trying to get myself sorted out for this crossband stuff. Using
my K2 on both 80m and 500kHz (via the Datong UC1) and relying on the
500kHz for my sidetone means I have to click the band up/down button
twice to change the the receiver between the two bands (between 10m
and 80m). Not particularly quick changeover..... But I don't have any
antenna changeover problems, the two antennas are totally
independent.

Just listening to G3YPE working G3UNT crossband. Brian is 599 on
502kHz whereas Mike is only just above the noise on 80m. It seems
conditions are now in their winter mode where you can't work G-land
on 80m in the evenings!

Now Brian is working F6BWO, also very weak on 80m.

At least it is bringing some activity to the band.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com