Re: LF: 500 QSB

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 500 QSB
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:23:00 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=yCNLqUz99HElNXLQ0/Rtjevbd+l8HTvz7j3A989RdU5cRugOJkHosJCL62YO3m3K/0hUmZDXxpIbD9VFRIWbQv8T4y2Yxcq0jRlG1S/byrLWcneXeDJRkT/d6Y1n0Dyaf73r3IOg4H4rXltC+T1JuDmul+TyoDxUdxpxjcHZwu0= ;
Domainkey-status: good (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dave, i think part of the problem is that at this time the ionosphere is
still undergoing the chnage to night-time conditions and has not stabilised.
the important time is not ground sunset but sunset at the mid-path point at
an altitude of 100 to 150kms. Geoclock says that Shetland was into the edge
of full shadow at ground level at 2020 BST ...40 mins befor QSO start, But
the shadow edge at 100km would not reach Shetland until 2120 BST. So the
illumination would still not be "dowsedD at the middle of the path until
about 2140 BST at which time the "reflection height"  would still be
changing quite rapidly. The path should start to stabilise to night time
conditions some time soon after 2200BST. Also as the D-layer absorption dies
there may be signals returned from even higher levels which are still
illuminated. This fading is undoubtedly the interaction of two ionospheric
paths, and the groundwave stength is negligable by comparison.

Exactly what the propagation conditions are in this transition phase is open
to conjecture but there is the chance of a tilted region at the reflection
point, focusing, and maybe other effects. A lot of the signals I have logged
at 136 often show deep fades on the rising signal strength at the darkness
edge time. The more interesting data is on the signals once the night-time
phase has settled in over the path, because this should be more reliable.
Conditions are generally very good at present with very little extra
ionosation due to geomagnetic effects. Also the solar wind is relatively
quiet so there are not so many shocks setting up "waves" in the ionospheric
levels.
This may be the last "quiet" winter before the ramp up to the next Solar
Maximum.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK