Re: LF: Antenna testing

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Antenna testing
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 06:47:12 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On 6 Aug 2007 at 23:45, Peter Dodd wrote:

> The Array Solutions AIM4170 Antenna Analyzer, reviewed in Radcom July
> 07 and further described in 'Antennas' Radcom August 07, is a splendid
> tool for analyzing and setting up the resonating and matching of LF
> antennas.

An extensive review also appears in August QST. Nice box, but at $499
a lot of money even at the current exchange rates unless you have
another application than the MF bands.

Rather less convenient but far cheaper is Peter's 3M bridge. I
adapted this and improved its accuracy and found it a perfectly
adequate method of matching my antenna. I have a detailed description
on my website 500kHz pages.

But it is probably academic now. With yet another station giving up
the band last night because of a drop in activity and other reasons I
feel things have past their peak. (G3XAQ, G3XIZ, G3VTT and possibly
others have now gone QRT). Unless new stations come on the band for
proper QSOs I shall do likewise and not waste my time (which is a
pity as I am giving a talk about the band at my local club on
Wednesday...).

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com