Re: LF: Antenna testing

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Antenna testing
From: John Pumford-Green GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:55:34 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 06:47:12 +0100
"Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]> wrote:

> But it is probably academic now. With yet another station giving up
> the band last night because of a drop in activity and other reasons I
> feel things have past their peak. (G3XAQ, G3XIZ, G3VTT and possibly
> others have now gone QRT). Unless new stations come on the band for
> proper QSOs I shall do likewise and not waste my time

Dave et al,

I got QRV as quickly as my limited time and resources allow, just in
time for the great exodus!

I am intending to start my incremental improvements to antenna etc. as
the season progresses toward the ever dark winter.

I'm hoping at this great distance, in the far north, that autumn/winter
will be better for "proper QSOs" as June and July are basically 24
hours of daylight up here. August is getting better, with night time
starting to appear after about 11:00pm local time.

Of course where the SE stations are congregated together the vast
difference between night & daytime propagation is unimportant for them
to work each other seemingly at will and I guess once they've worked
each other several times the intereset must start to wane.....

For the rest of the country I think it's a bit hasty to abandon the band
in mid-summer, when the best is yet to come, with any luck.

I managed GM-GI last night, straight keys both ways, copy by ear,
a "proper QSO". Ears are still ringing from the static crashes!

Hope to work some more of the SE stations as autumn draws on and winter
approaches, don't give up on the band just yet!

Regards from the far north,

John GM4SLV