RE: LF: [ 500]; Two GW's Testing...

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: [ 500]; Two GW's Testing...
From: "Michael Probert" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:05:44 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Jim and group,
Your comments totally confirm my experience on 500khz.
I have occasionally heard G3KEV and called him with no response, conversely
he has heard me and I have not heard him--Mal was quite "put out" about it.
I have heard Dave G3YXM on one occasion when he was in beacon mode. The
furthest East I have worked was G3AQC. There is no doubt as soon as there is
an element of sea path, in daylight, signals are enhanced. I have had 2
reports today from Falmouth and Lands End S4 received on non resonant
antennas.
>From this location to the NE I have the Preseli Mountains, to the West the
Brecon Beacons and SE Exmore-all great lumps of rock. The 2 GI's where there
is substantial sea path are both good signals. Roger GW3UEP 40m up the road
is a crashing signal.
Yes Jim, overland in daylight signals sure "fall off a cliff" at not too
great a distance.
Thinking about, it I suppose that's why the "old boys" many years ago built
the coast stations on the Coast-a profound statement!
Jim, I will leave the beacon running through the night on 503.8
Thanks to others who have sent reports.
73
Mike  GW4HXO.

Dear Mike, LF Group,

No sign of your signal here in IO91VR north of London yet. I was watching my
own beacon signal on GM4SLV's handy screen grabber overnight. There was
pretty consistent reception without much fading while the path was in
darkness, and nothing at all in daylight. I have not heard anything much
over 2-300km during the day time here; to me it really seems that the ground
wave signal levels "fall off a cliff" much beyond that over land, although
the fact that GM4SLV, G3KEV and other stations near the coast can hear each
other during daylight seems to confirm substantially greater ground-wave
range over the sea. All the DX reports on my beacon signals so far have been
during darkness; and the distant signals I have heard have been then too, so
it looks like the ionosphere is only really cooperating at night.Any
possibility of operating your beacon after dark would be welcome here - the
503.8 frequency is fine by me!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU