LF: Re: 136kHz Getting started..

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 136kHz Getting started..
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:18:08 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=iNI0jvUgSGhyaTo/1ZlZ0bpzxSoye2+sTMk98p0b3CZHrUHsnFHSIGtjt+/dPyoJY/pDmI/B2u0ggBSvGN3OE8NVkW8YtlzLU2Agx3KzwVMIC2F6uM79miwv5nPJLfArr+2RbQuY/eesKowz2qiZ+CbD+c6AGWdKlInOQFMbxiQ= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Rob as dave said it is quiet at the moment. I found attaching a gen to a
loop can give silly answers, and you can finish off far enough off resonance
to seriously affect the signal levels. I connect my generator to a small
coil about 8in diam with about 8 turns or any-old-wire. Set the two loops in
the same plane with the exciter look a couple of diameters of the big loo
along the axis. Then peak the main loop. I get quite a bit signal from DCF39
on 138.83 here the field strength is about 1mV/meter and that vives me an
S9+32dB signal from a 12m high Inverted L.. You will get a little less on a
loop but not that much less with a large one.
Most of the "accumulated wisdom" is summerised on a couple of big tutorials
on Rik Stobbe's web site, and he has lots of links to other projects
information
http://www.qsl.net/on7yd/136khz.htm

It occurs to me that depending on your location you may need a low-pass
filter between your loop and the rx to keep out MW  BC stations, the 612 is
not the best intermod performer, but is adequate if protected sufficiently.

The use of a PC "waterfall" program (ARGO is popular, free, and easy to use,
and works with most on-board sound cards I think) is very useful for
identifying QRM and also spotting weak signals.

Welcome to LF ( which stands for Lotsa Fun !!)
Alan G3NYK
http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.melia/index.htm