Re: LF: 136kHz Getting started..

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 136kHz Getting started..
From: "Rob, M0DTS" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 22:22:25 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dave Pick wrote:
Rob

A good check for any receiver is to listen for the German utility transmission on 138.83 which is a plain carrier with a burst of data every few seconds. If your setup is any good it should be about S9+10dB during the day. Unfortunately there isn't much straight CW activity on the band at present, due to Loran QRM (which is due to go off in July and return from Cumbria in the autumn) and the distraction of 500kHz. General activity is low at present because it's almost mid-summer, the static is high and the dark hours are short. It's a good time to get your system sorted out for the autumn though! If you need a test transmission next week one evening e-mail me and I'll fire up the TX.

Good luck!

Dave G3YXM.

Thanks for the Info Dave, at least i know what i'm looking for now.. so much stuff on LF u dont know if it's data signals or qrm...hi

ok on the activity, as i noticed there was mostly posts for 500KHz... i tuned to 502.5? earlier with long wire and saw a cw signal but it stopped before i had time to id so maybe someone was active and i just missed them... maybe around 19:20 today.

I'm seeing 138.83 about 35dB above noise in SpectrumLab and have put a wide band mmic amp in front of my IC-706 and it now has come to life! 138.83 is about S8 with lots of breakthrough etc...need to make a simple filter.

I think i will hang around for a few active stations sometime to check things out, a signal would be nice but no need to go out of your way for it! i'l try optimise with 138.8 signal then listen a bit more.

well i'l do a bit more work then come back...

Rob