LF: 136kHz Getting started..

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 136kHz Getting started..
From: "Rob, M0DTS" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 14:25:43 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi All..

Just found this list and seems like the only sort of forum on the net to do with LF!

I'm just looking into 136kHz and looking for a few pointers..

I've temporarily built a loop similar to G3LDO's super loop (but not in the pvc tube) and got it resonant but cannot tell how high Q it is.. Only equipment i have that will check the loop out is a DDS wobbler unit that i can connect up across teh pick up loop and see it is resonant around 136-138kHz... I'm feeding the loop into a simple sa612 mixer and 100kHz LO and sending the IF into the sound card at 36-38kHz. I've only got basic knowledge of home brew stuff so looking for a simple setup to get me receiveing to see if it will be worthwhile making a transceiver for the band...

So far I've not seen anything on the band apart from qrm...hi especially on 137.4 +/-100Hz a noise band that is always there. Are there any beacons active all the time or is there anything just outside the band i can look for to check the system is working?
When are the best times to find stations active?

Any comments welcome!

Thanks

Rob

M0DTS - IO94IL