LF: Re: Unexplained tuning effects on 500K aerial

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Unexplained tuning effects on 500K aerial
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 00:39:17 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=xx+i3/utTitCB3/iGBCQlgNT8joqifKXQu+0/CnHEEYL5dPoZ7q356BZ4UlVhcgiQp/LOn0EFNR2V569YvAa5gdwwMIqxFrZd7nG9dJ74qc6PpQWlnAxi71aMrXTVkVqJqff2HYnJxZWdFmLQB0RKKcl4bzrKQy4K/dYn0Yj65Q= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alan Its getting late and I am not sure I have absorbed all your data
correctly

1 dont forget the down wire has capacitance to ground as well....around an
average of 5pF per m, also you have the parasitic capacitance of the coil to
ground which will depend on its height above ground. The value (6pF/m) for
the capacitance of top wire is a rough usable estimate and can vary
depending on the height of the wire. The downwire value assumes a single
wire not a cone which has a greater capacity.

2 Transformer matching under the coil can be quite a confusing game. You
rreally need to measure the untuned wire to know the parameters, like ground
loss and coil loss can be measured separately. Some stations have suggested
putting a toroid within the field of the main loading coil can give stange
results (but this was with higher power at 136kHz)  Most seem to have found
connecting the bottom of the coil to ground and tapping up the coil the
easiest solution (you probably require too many turns to link couple but
that is another option)......probably less variables

3 Nearby wires/aerials will not have much effect UNLESS they are tuned to
500k as well. Then you will get coupling and a sort of GDO suck-out effect,
which looks like increased environmental loss.See the page below though for
136 it shows the effect.
http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.melia/aecouple.htm

I can seriously recomment a simple bridge, it dispels a lot of the confusion
of trying to estimate ground loss from aerial current and power. You can
make changes to the grounding and if the "R" term doesnt change you aint
improved it despite any changes in aerial current. You can then use it to
get your matching right at resonance, by shorting out the variable capacity.
But you do need a drive souce of about 3 volts rms, and a tuned detector
like a receiver because you pick up lots of volts from MW BC stations which
swamp the null. There seems to be resistance to buiding these but those who
have, have sorted their problems out more quickly.
http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.melia/aelossbr.htm

I hope that helps
Cheers de Alan G3NYK