Re: LF: Re: LF Portable 502Khz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: LF Portable 502Khz
From: Alan Ibbetson <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 14:42:17 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
In message <[email protected]>, Dave Sergeant <[email protected]> writes
While Colin was chatting from
his /P G4GDR called CQ several times exactly co-channel (he was 589
here) and he was clearly unaware that the others were chatting on top
of him (as apparently Colin and Brian were also...).

I know I am not the biggest signal in the world on 500kHz, but surely
if I copy G4GDR (Swindon) 589 in Bracknell I would have thought they
should have been hearing each other.

Hello Dave and LFers,

I thought I did hear a station sending during one of Colin's overs, but when both Colin and I repeatedly asked "QRZ?" we got no reply. Colin, Brian and I are quite close together so we might not always hear another station that is putting a good signal into other parts of the country, though we do try listening for other callers.

If anyone is having difficulty making me hear them then please drop me an email and we can make a sked. I've tried this a couple of times with Ray/GI3PDN although so far we haven't made a 2-way QSO.

I have moved the loading coil on my inverted-L from near the far end to the top of the vertical. I need less coil for resonance now, actually rather less than a simple 6pF/m of horizontal loading wire would predict. The loading coil is about 1m underneath my 40m yagi and I'm suspicious that the yagi and the HF array above it are adding extra capacitive loading. Given that the tower sections are not explicitly bonded together and the safety earth is not directly joined to my RF earth, I'm not convinced I have made things better. My next job is to see if the loss resistance has gone up or down. The SWR has certainly changed so the loss isn't near 50 ohms any more.

Enjoy NFD. You've certainly got the weather for it.

Cheers,

Alan G3XAQ
[email protected]