Re: LF: LMCW

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LMCW
From: "Johan H. Bodin" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:45:03 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Andy Talbot wrote:
> Error!

> LMCW Started in on 27 July 1997 when I first transmitted over the 393km
> path to G3PLX on 72.09kHz..

ERROR!

LMCW is much older! For example, look at section 7 of Rik's (excellent!)
page, Nihil novum sub sole, http://www.qsl.net/on7yd/136narro.htm#NihilNovum

:-)

In fact, LMCW is not an "amateur invention" at all. The fact that the
signal to noise ratio increases inversely to bandwidth has been known
for ages, and reduced bandwidth requires slower signaling to convey the
information... Ever heard of Shannon? :-)
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon%E2%80%93Hartley_theorem

73
Johan SM6LKM

P.S. to Mal:
I believe I was the first to suggest the use of slow CW on the RSGB
LF reflector some 10 years ago (just after I found Richard Horne's
Spectrogram on the web). Blame me!

;-)