Re: LF: 500 kHz loop antenna ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500 kHz loop antenna ?
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:47:55 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Rik,

Just a little interesting information... My 1159 m^2 loop shows a feedpoint impedance of 1.8 +j215 ohms at 137 kHz. It measures 53 +j1060 ohms at 505 kHz. If the FCC ever grinds out a license for me to operate on 600 meters, then the tuning network will certainly be simple!

That loop requires about 500 watts for a measured 1 watt ERP at 137 kHz. It will be interesting to see how it does at 600m. Since the perimeter of the loop is about a quarter wave up there, "small loop" thinking will probably not apply.

I believe that Dave Riley, AA1A, has used a vertical loop on 505 kHz with good results.

John Andrews, W1TAG

Rik Strobbe wrote:
Dear all,

did anyone try a loop antenna (for transmitting) on 500 kHz ?