Re: LF: Transatlantic QSO

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Transatlantic QSO
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:01:27 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Mike and Joe
This is a splendid result and you are both to be congratulated. Particularly Mike who has such a restricted site - it just shows what can be done with skill and perseverance.

Peter, G3LDO

Joe, VO1NA, and I completed a successful QSO last night. He was using QRSS60 and I used QRSS30. The contact involved no repeats and lasted 3.5 hours, starting at 2230UTC. 'O' reports were exchanged.

The attached images of Joe show that conditions were very good, with some strong fades. Initially I had Argo set to 30 second dots, but changed to 60s during a fade, which is why the first picture looks odd.

I run about 200mW ERP from an antenna squeezed into a garden 20m (70ft) by 8m (25ft). I believe Joe was running well below 1W ERP himself.