RE: LF: GPS Locked test transmission

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: GPS Locked test transmission
From: Talbot Andrew <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:44:19 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
OK, I'll switch it off this evening. I noticed at one point on Saturday,
around mid-day, the GPS Rx briefly lost lock for a few seconds - presumbaly
because the antenna view of the sky is blocked in one direction and the
satellites were in an unfavourable set of positions at that time.  When lock
is lost, the 10MHz reference from the el-cheapo commercial GPSDO I am using
wanders in frequency by several ppm while the GPS is searching for the
signal.  It then takes a couple of minutes to re-stabilise once GPS lock is
reacquired.   In that case the phase of the transmitted signal will
permanently shift, giving a jump in any long term phase monitoring.

I am transmitting the test signal from a dedicated set of equipment in a
shed in the garden - the 'trials cabin'.   Perhaps in future the reference
siugnal should be fed down to the shed from the shack where a better quality
reference signal can be guaranteed.

Andy  G4JNT