LF: Re: LF loading coils

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: LF loading coils
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 19:25:04 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Gary, taken simply I would guess the answer is "NO". The loss in the coil
is but a small portion of the total loss in the system. Several years ago
Dave G3YXM, did an experiment with three old loading coils wound, I believe,
at different stages of his LF transmitting "career". From memory the "worst"
was 1mm plastic covered wire and the best was using thick ex-Decca litz
wire. Dave probably still has the original data, but from memory there was
about a 30% difference in coil loss between the two (9 ohms down to 6 ohms)
As even with Dave's big top-load wires his Marconi has a ground loss of
about 30 ohms, the difference between the coils in the aerial system was a
disappointing 10% , a fraction of a dB, and almost imperceptible to the
receiving station.

I think If you cannot get topload in the only way to improve things is to go
very much higher. I think Steve, GW3ALG's site is still open and there is a
description of his balloon aided vertical, using party helium balloons to
extent his 10m vertical by another 10m. This was only usable when the
evenings were calm.
http://www.alg.demon.co.uk/radio/136/intro.htm
Steve unfortunately left LF when what he described as a "repeater" was
installed as a remote receiver to aid some stations with high levels of
domestic interference  on LF.