LF: LF loading coils <Litz>

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: LF loading coils <Litz>
From: "Dave G3WCB" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:33:41 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Gary, LF.

I have just finished rewinding my loading coil. The original 3.2mH coil was
wound with 150 turns of 2.5mm cross-sectional area pvc covered solid copper
wire,(i.e. mains cable inner) The coil is 300mm dia and 500mm high, and the
antenna is a "Tee" at 6m with a 60m top. The antenna capacity to ground is
about 390 pF.

I rewound it with Litz wire of about the same cross-sectional area, and got
an antenna current increase of 15%. Not much, but every little helps.

I haven't tried a short, fat loading coil yet, but the indications are that
short fat coils have lower losses.

73, Dave G3WCB IO91RM