LF: Interesting Loran effect

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Interesting Loran effect
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:45:05 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I have not been very active with my waterfall displays recently but I was
running Spectran on 137 this afternoon and noticed that when my local TVs
had stopped watching the News (or Daily Politics  !! unlikely this hot
weather) I had an interesting and unusual "clumping" of what I took to be
Loran lines at 137.0 and 136.0 kHz. The modulation sidebands seemed to be
about 1.5Hz apart. I wondered about local interference but the lines are
very stable, but odd frequencies for Loran. the signal stopped at 1342 and
then returned some minutes later. Maybe this is one of the "error" signals
indicating that not all transmitters are active. I have not tried running
Peter's Loran program which isolates the different stations on a GRP.

Loran is usually much more uniform than this but there is a high static
level here. I do hope that means some showers here !! The clumps are still
visible at 14:44 BST (1344z)

Cheers de Alan G3NYK