LF: Tapped loading coil design spreadsheet

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Tapped loading coil design spreadsheet
From: "james moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:12:16 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Dear LF Group,

I have been doing some investigation into the design of tapped loading coils for LF antennas – specifically, where to put the tap for the TX connection to achieve matching to 50 ohms. As far as I can see, there is no simple formula that gives a realistic result, and generally the tapping point is selected by trial and error. But it would be nice to know at least approximately where the taps should be, to take the guesswork out of making a coil.

It appears that the tapping point can be calculated reasonably accurately (within about 10% resistance, or +/- 1 turn or so – assuming the antenna loss resistance is known), but it is quite a complicated and tedious process. So I have made an Excel spreadsheet that does all the coil design calculations, the user just has to enter the coil diameter, winding pitch and some other details, and the antenna capacitance, and gets a graph of matched antenna resistance vs. tapping point turns (and some other info, like the overall number of turns needed). I have tested the spreadsheet results against measurements of 3 real loading coils with different geometries, with the kind of results mentioned above. It is also quite easy to “reverse engineer” an existing loading coil.

Some interesting results arose that I was not aware of previously. There is a definite upper limit to the antenna resistance that can be matched, which depends on the winding pitch and diameter of the coil. “Short, fat” loading coils, with large diameter and closely spaced turns, can match higher antenna resistances than “long, thin” coils. Any tapped coil can match resistances below the TX output resistance, if it has enough turns. But for lower antenna resistance, a “long, thin” coil offers the advantage of a smaller change in resistance between each tap, leading to a more accurate match.

I have written a short article as a pdf file that explains how to fill in the spreadsheet, and showing the measured coil data, to go with the spreadsheet itself. These files are too big for the reflector, but let me know if you would like me to email them direct. I would be interested to know if others get reasonable agreement between the spreadsheet results and their loading coils – if you don’t have Excel on your PC, let me know details of your coil (diameter, length, number of turns or winding pitch), and I can run the calculations for you.

Cheers, Jim Moritz

73 de M0BMU