LF: DFCW, power and time.

To: "LF \(RSGB\)" <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: DFCW, power and time.
From: "J. Allen" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:42:08 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Friends,

Thank you for the suggestions. Please remember that my hobby time is very limited because the cold comes too fast in Yukon, and I must do extensive work on a house we are improving to become a rental unit for future retirement income and because my manager has given me self-training goals which are vital to my continued employment and present income.

I will not be able to spend much time developing these things, writing software and so forth. Since Java is one of the languages I am learning, working on a program related to it can be a work-related exercise. I need help to make transmitter and ancillary equipment building take less time and still have a good experiment result to present to the Radio Amateurs of Canada for its case to Industry Canada.

Experiment goal: beacon steadily at 1 W ierp until May when the license expires.

I must also reduce the amount of time I spend on email, so you will see fewer postings from VY1JA for the duration of the warm weather and while trade certification exams are being taken.

The reason I wanted to build a transmitter which it more powerful than needed is that I am hoping that when it is run so that it produces the current needed for 1 W ierp, it will be bulletproof like the amplifier which Steve, VE7SL has lent me and which is beaconing at 100 W now. It takes antenna changes from weather and wind and keeps on playing. I find that I can readjust it on the fly. I want to build a robust 500-1000 watt rig, set it at the license power limit, forget it, and not be afraid that smoke signals is all I will be sending.

I have an RF ammeter which shows almost no antenna base current from 100 Watt transmitter output. To get the 2.85 Amps will require much more power. I guesstimated about 410 Watts. We will find out when there is an amplifier in place which can generate power enough to make that RF ammeter swing to the centre-scale.

Reception reports like the one John sent will be greatly appreciated toward the experiment report which I will be developing next May.

My brain function has improved but I still have a long way to go. If you, my friends, can find solutions which are simple for me to implement, I can continue to improve the station, and keep experiments going but am mainly focused on keeping this property after my retirement.

Thanks,

J.
VY1JA