LF: transformer question

To: "LF \(RSGB\)" <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: transformer question
From: "J. Allen" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 04:00:40 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Alan and All,

Alan, you were concerned about the transformer that was added between the coax and the loading coil at the base of the 137 kHz. antenna. Here follow-up to your question.

If you remember it is a bifilar winding of ten turns which takes up on inch length on a 10-3/4 inch form.

I used Solenoid3 which may or may not be the right tool for the job, and calculate the self-impedance of the windings to be just about 50 Ohms at 137.8 kHz. I do not know if 50 Ohms is good, bad or what. Can anyone tell me?

I am concerned that the 50 Ohms of self impedance might be giving me a false OK on my system and that I actually still have antenna problems even though the system radiates and looks matched.

Even in the bad conditions yesterday, some bits of the transmission have appeared on Scott's screen 1000 Miles distant, and we are trying it again tonight.

The transformer was wound by guess, since I cannot remember if I have seen any data on properly wining a solenoid type transformer with bifilar winding.

Anyone know the answer or have a link to the information on winding these?

J.