LF: Re: transformer question

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: transformer question
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 10:10:05 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi J, yes you may still have some effect there. My simple thoughts on
tranformers are as follows.

If you are only aiming at 136kHz  wide-banding the transformer is not so
important so bi-filar winding is not so important, though it will keep down
the losses. Overwinding the two winding should be adequate.

The turns should be calculated so that the reactive inductance is about 3 to
5 times the expected / required load impedance. So the 50 ohm side should
have enough turns to have a reactance of 150 to 250 ohms at 136kHz.

My guess is you do not want a 1:1 transformer anyway as it looks as though
the resonant impedance of your antenna system is about 12 ohms, so you
actually need a 2:1 step-up from the antenna to the coax. Roughly this means
you need to double the number of turns on the coax side of the transformer,
the antenna side is probably about right.

This being the case just overwind the two windings on the core with a few
taps on the 50ohm side to achieve the matching, after the antenna has been
resonated (made purely resistive.) The best way to find the right tap maybe
to look at the scopemeter with a dummy load on the end of the coax, and
adjust the taps after resonating to get the same picture.

To  Mike G3XDV,  J's problem has been that he had several millihenries in
the coil following our literature but he has a much bigger antenna system
that is common in the UK....he has a capacity of 1200 to 1300 pF !! so he
only need a coil of several hundred micro-henries....maybe 1mH at the very
most. He was not geting up to resonance, and at the end of 250feet feet of
coax was getting strange results.

Well done on getting some fragments to Scott, you should be able to bridge
1000miles easily on QRSS with 100W and that antenna. I have achieved 500
miles  (just !!) with 2W to a much smaller system (30foot high  800pF
Marconi).

Best Wishes de Alan G3NYK