Re: LF: Odd Frequency Crystal Oscillator moule - completely off topic -

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Odd Frequency Crystal Oscillator moule - completely off topic - sri
From: Andre Kesteloot <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:09:08 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
[email protected] wrote:
In a message dated 09/06/2006 13:46:01 GMT Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Andy,

Since this can be of use to radio amateurs too, let me reply here:
Digikey does not carry Fox, but Mouser does.
Fox makes some xtals that can be programmed by the distributor.
JITO is the acronym for "Just in Time Oscillators".
The Jito ranges are : 0.344 to 125 MHz and 125 to 250 MHz
See page 689 of their latest catalog
or go to:
    http://foxonline.com/pdfs/JITO-2_brochure.pdf.
Prices for qty 1: $14.79
Delivery 10 days or less.
That sounds like a good service. Thanks Andre.

Small warning though. Many of the oscillators may turn out to be VCOs with an integral PLL.
According to my supplier here (not Fox etc) they are 95% useful.....with the exception of communications applications where the phase noise outside the loop filter bandwidth is excessive compared to a genuine crystal oscillator.

David,
yes indeed, some measurements we made a few years ago did indicate that the phase noise can be fairly high.
It all depends, of course on whatever application you are contemplating.
73
André N4ICK