LF: RE: RE: Gardener required...

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: RE: Gardener required...
From: Tom Gruis, EdD, KØHTF <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:06:58 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

Make the 1360 for KHAK….

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tom Gruis, EdD, KØHTF
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 07:57
To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Gardener required...

Hell, all.

            I used to a lot or broadcast work and it was sometimes quite an issue regarding the plants surrounding the towers. One station was the olde KCBC in Des Moines, IA on 1390 Kc., as it was in those days. It was a 1 kw 4 tower array and being in Iowa it was surrounded on 3 or 4 sides with a cornfield. Enough said.

            Another station was KHAK, 1350, 1 kw, 4 tower daytimes in Cedar Rapids, about 130 miles east and a bit north. You could look at the phase monitor and see it moving a few degrees and the current varying. It started suddenly and I found the trouble within a day: a field mouse nest in the de-coupling coil in the lighting system for the NW tower.

            Way back when a station in, I think I was told, the town of Watertown, South Dakota installed a new station on the tallest point of a building. As the engineer tuned the tower each nigh during testing all was excellent. On the morning of sign on, with many dignitaries present the station was hard to keep on the air – antenna problems. The reason: during business hours the elevator shat house was where the antenna was installed and there was the piston tuning and folk had the nerve to use the ‘vator.

73,

Doc.