LF: Re: PAs

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: PAs
From: "Peter Martinez" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 06:41:01 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
From G3PLX:

Uwe:

I am not an expert on LF power-amplifiers (I worked on 10kW HF power-amplifiers 40 years ago but not recently), but it looks to me that the voltage and current waveforms of your home-brew PA have some harmonics. I took the image of the homebrew waveform and did a mirror-image (flip vertically) then superimposed it on the original. This shows clearly that the voltage waveform has different rising and falling slopes, which means there is some even-order harmonic present. Maybe this is due to some unbalance between the two halves of a push-pull circuit. The current waveform is more confused but that is probably because the harmonic currents are higher. This is some effect of the low-pass filtering and the antenna tuning.

There is also some broadening of the scope trace at some parts of the waveform, which shows there is some signal there which is not harmonically-related. It could be HF/VHF parasitic oscillation, but it's not possible to tell from the scope trace for sure. It could be just some power-line-frequency effect. Only a spectrum analyser could show this properly, but you may get a clue if you can hook the scope ahead of the PA low-pass filter. If this broadening of the trace is worse here, it may mean that there is some HF parasitic oscillation.

73
Peter