LF: Re: Tech questions G3YXM amp+18 divider

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Tech questions G3YXM amp+18 divider
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:01 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dick

I use a separate heatsink for each pair of Fets, this method avoids using an
insulated spacer between fets and the heatsink.
It also means you get a better bond to the heatsink
I use two 5 inch fans on the PA one blowing on to the fet heat sinks and the
other one blowing across the PA inductor and LPF. My PA unit runs barely
warm even on QRS.
I use only one 47k resistor gate/ground for each pair of fets,  I
get no ringing or noises even using full power.
My PA is modular built so that it is easy to change any individual unit ie
FET/Heatsink, LPF, Driver board.
I use a IC 706 as the rf source on min power and divide down from 13.6/13.7
mhz to get on 136/137 khz.
With a stable antenna system you should have no trouble with reliability but
a wobbly or unstable antenna with a high or varying SWR BEWARE it could get
smoky !! so they say!!
Mal/G3KEV