LF: RE: Tech questions G3YXM amp+18 divider

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: Tech questions G3YXM amp+18 divider
From: "Dave G3WCB" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 17:27:29 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi, Dick.

30mm will be OK for the zobel network. Just keep the wiring rigid and
direct, and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you want to transmit for long periods, be generous with the cooling, and
not just for FETs. The ferrite components will get hot too. Keep an "open"
layout, and allow room to add extra cooling fans to blow air onto the output
transformer, the PA feed choke (if you use the "current fed configuration),
and the toroids in the output low-pass filter(LPF).

You can use air-cored inductors for the output LPF, but don't underestimate
the gauge of the wire you need use. I found that even air-cored coils get
hot at moderate power levels (>200W)due to copper losses, as the circulating
currents in the output LPF can be surprisingly large.

The most unreliable part of my rig is the power supply. I'm on my third set
of rectifier diodes ;-)

For the divider, you can divide by nine and then two. The divider I use has
a 74LS161N LSTTL programmable divider followed by a SN74LS74 divide-by two.
You'll also need a 74LS04 inverter, plus a handfull of other bits and
pieces. Cost about 10 euro maximum. It will also generate DFCW by switching
a trimmer capacitor across the crystal.

If you (or anybody else)want the schematic, let me know and I'll mail it
direct. (700k Word document)

Good luck with the construction!

73, Dave G3WCB IO91RM