Re: LF: Rugby test?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Rugby test?
From: "Peter Martinez" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:45:34 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
From G3PLX:

It wasn't Rugby that went off yesterday but Lessay. As luck would have it I was trying to debug some LORAN receive software that morning, and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. It seemed to work in the afternoon and I couldn't figure that out either until the screenshot from Markus revealed all! The moral must be - don't try to debug LF receive software on the first Tuesday of the month!

Rugby transmits a regular group of 8 pulses at 14.85/sec., and on it's own that would give a very regular buzz, although at a rather lower rate than a fluorescent light. When Lessay is on, it transmits both at 14.85/sec and 13.11/sec and the 1.5Hz beat between these gives the galloping effect.

With Lessay off, the galloping stops. At least this is true in the UK.

73
Peter