LF: LOOPS V VERTICALS

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: LOOPS V VERTICALS
From: "g3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:43:30 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi All

Considering RX only some around EU are getting good results with DX reception using the small mini vertical and others seemingly using small loops.
Of the two I wonder which is better. I expect to be meaningful one would need both at the same QTH otherwise environmential variations could have an effect and give different resul,ts.
My experience with larger antennas tends to favour the vertical for DX reception.

The loop in use here is an 80metre system favouring E/W and works well up to about say 1500 miles in the optimum direction (e/w) and also works for the DX but well down on the vertical.
The loop is parallel resonated for 136 khz. and the top horizontal is at 70 ft high.

The vertical consists of 3 x inv L's each one 100 ft vertical and over 400 ft horizontal. The vertical drop wires taper from the top to the bottom and connect to the loading coil abt 400 uH and matched to 50 ohms coax which goes to the TX/RX some 150 ft away.(air wound loading/matching inductors)
No ferrite material in the cct and no problems. This system is very stable and seldom changes from day to day, once in a while in a snow storm it might wander some hertz then return to normal although provision is made for adjustmenty if necessary.

I cannot think of any real improvements here but if I had a small active vertical , PA0 design or similar I would try it, I could build one but do not have the specified transistors.

In my case I think the angle of arrival of signals is related to the reception factor ie vertical is better for the long haul low angle sigs and the loop better for the high angle sigs.

Your comments on the smaller verts/loops welcome.

73 de Mal/G3KEV