LF: Re: Re: LOOPS V VERTICALS

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: LOOPS V VERTICALS
From: "g3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:12:59 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:09 PM
Subject: LF: Re: LOOPS V VERTICALS

Jim you are confusing the discussion by introducing a noisy local enverionment, where no doubt its a loop or nothing to null out the noise.
My argument made it clear that I was considering the merits of loops v verticals especially the smaller ones in a good quiet environment, the only way to compare both as regards efficiency and signal capture.
de Mal/G3KEV

The argument about loops and verticals in noisy locations has been discussed many times before.

Dear LF Group,

At M0BMU, the original motivation for using seperate RX antennas was the increasing 50Hz-related noise level on the TX vertical. This seems to be due to pick-up from the house mains wiring, but moving the vertical further from the house would result in reduced possible length, and it is short enough already!

Remote vertical antennas worked fine as far as eliminating mains noise was concerned, but did nothing to reduce distant sources of QRM such as Loran. Here I have to use quite selective antennas (the broadband active-whip type of antenna is not really workable here due to the 20V/m MF signal levels from Brookmans Park). For some time I used single loops oriented to null out the Lessay Loran signal, and I estimated this reduced the noise floor for most European signals by 6dB or so, which made quite a few more stations audible. I found that much experimentation was needed to find suitable positions for the loops where they would null out Loran, but not pick up 50Hz noise at the same time - loops seem to be more sensitive to this type of QRM.

Then the Rugby Loran started up, and the band noise level in aural reception bandwidths (e.g. 300Hz) increased by 15dB, wiping out many of the weaker signals at this QTH. I countered this using both loop and vertical antennas phased together to provide two adjustable nulls aimed at Rugby and Lessay. This brought the situation for aural reception of European sigs to about the same place as it was before - but most signals coming from the west are attenuated by the overall directional properties of the system.

So, for aural signal reception at this location in SE England, currently neither  loops nor vertical antennas by themselves work very well, allthough quite good results are achieved by using a phasing system with both types of antenna to null out the Loran.

For narrow-band QRSS, etc. signals, the situation is different, since provided the received signal frequency does not coincide with a Loran line, Loran does not matter too much. There does not seem to be much to choose between the loop and the vertical most of the time, however under quiet band conditions with little QRN I have found that if I use the phased loop and vertical antennas, and reverse the relative phase of the antennas to favour signals from the west (i.e. for transatlantic reception), the band noise is reduced by several dB on the spectrogram compared to either antenna by itself - I suspect this may be due to a reduction in "Luxembourg effect" noise originating from Europe to the east.

So here I find it neccessary to use both types of antenna simultaneously, if I want to achieve good results. This is mostly to overcome the effects of man-made QRM and to enable aural reception of signals, which are perhaps the main differences between my situation and the others who have commented.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU