LF: Re: LOOPS V VERTICALS

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: LOOPS V VERTICALS
From: "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:32:52 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
>Your comments on the smaller verts/loops welcome.

Mal - during our last TransPacific tests with ZL, we had the opportunity to run two rx's on the ZL frequency. One was our mainstay and always reliable performer, the large 10' air-core tuned passive loop while the other was our large vertical tx antenna. The ZL signal was often 'O' copy on the vertical while the loop showed nothing at all. I think there was only one short instance when the loop produced a signal that the vertical did not hear. The loop had previously earned our respect as an excellent rx antenna because we had always used it in our own noisier environments but beside the ocean on Pender Island, there was no noise at all, and the loop quickly lost it's main advantage. Both Scott and I have since been using our tx verticals on rx at our home stations more often, when the noise level permits and the verticals are clearly better, when noise is not a factor.

BTW, our next TransPacific ZM2E-VA7LF attempt is fast approaching...April 3-5th our time.

73
Steve / VE7SL

Web: "THE VE7SL RADIO NOTEBOOK" at   http://www.imagenisp.ca/jsm