Re: LF: Antenna question..

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Antenna question..
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:47:55 -0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:52:55 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Dave, The slope downwards on the top section will reduce your effective height and hence the ERP. Note that with a short Marconi the ERP is proportional to the square of the effective height, so this factor is =extremely= important. If there is any way to increase the 5m end, even by a little, then do so. The loss will be reduced by placing a loading coil higher up the vertical section, preferably at the top but the middle will do if it's more converient mechanically. This has the effect of reducing the voltage on the up wire and hence reducing local environmental losses, such as those to the brickwork on your house. It should also reduce your interference and pick-up problems. So it is well worth doing. I can advise on light-weight inductors (or see my book: LF Today).

If you have a mast at the house end, you may find it helpful to ground it (yes, I know it ought to 'short circuit' the vertical, but in fact it provides a relatively low loss capacitor to earth, instead of a resistor of variable loss depending on the weather).

If you want to do a 'before and after' test, let me know. I am usually at my desk/shack during the day.

Good luck.

Mike, G3XDV
==========

I am planning to re-engineer my antenna during the Spring, and I have
a design decision to make.
I use an "L" antenna with a vertical section and a horizontal top
section that is 20m long. The "horizontal" top section is 10m high at
the house end, and slopes down to 5m at the far end. The vertical
section is a single wire, with a large loading coil/variometer at the
bottom, in the usual time-honoured fashion.
My choice is:- do I feed the top section at the house end, in which
case the vertical section will be 10m high, or at the far end, where
the vertical section will be only 5m high? At first glance, it might
be thought that the 10m vertical would be preferable, but the fact
that the top section slopes confuses the situation.

Another problem with feeding at the house end is that the vertical
section is very near the house and causes all sorts of RFI problems.
It also picks up a load of mains-borne rubbish!
Second question:- Has anyone experienced any tangible benefits by
including an extra loading coil part-way up the vertical section?
73, Dave G3WCB IO91RM