LF: ZL1BPU QRV

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: ZL1BPU QRV
From: "Murray ZL1BPU" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:23:46 +1300
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 06:08:07 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi,

I thought I'd better introduce myself to the group now that I am on the air. I am operational on 181kHz and have had resonable results considering I'm a beginner at LF! In just one evening I was copied by numerous stations with RST 569 from ZL4OL at a distance of about 1000km. I was running about 250W.

I have a lot of improvements to make, (I'm sure everyone on LF thinks the same!), but I'm pleased to have made such a good start. I'm currently running a beacon on 181.400kHz with 1W output, and it has been confirmed on Argo by ZL2CA at about 450km range.

My station consists of:

Exciter - ZL1BPU LF Exciter, DDS, with new firmware including 'Castle' Mode and JASON, 1W output to 250kHz, TCXO reference.

Transmitter - One drawer of a Southern Avionics (USA) SC1000 USCG DGPS transmitter, 1kW capable. I have the whole system, ex-Navy surplus!

Antenna - Marconi Tee with 70m top wire and sloping 20m upwire. Highest point 8m. Tuner is original Southern Avionics coil with a 'bucket of wire' inductively coupled in the top for 1.95mH total. Coil grounded and tapped to transmitter. Four short radials and ground stake.

RX Antenna - homebrew active whip, J310 cascode design, with 500kHz LP filter, mounted 10m from house and 7m up in the air. Isolated feed to receiver and battery supply. Goes well from 10kHz upwards. Nice quiet operating site.

Receivers - Harris RF-505A with frequency referenced to HP 5065A Rubidium Standard
               - Icom IC-R71

The transmitter is VERY interesting. Only a few years old, it is a broadband design, and uses a Class D H-bridge FET transmitter, each 500W module with its own Class S modulator / power supply adjustable 0 - 130V at 7A. The modulator has 0 - 4kHz bandwidth, so is AM capable. Anyone for Kahn EER? I key the drive and the modulator with the LF Exciter. Transmitter efficiency is > 95%. More info on the transmitter on my web site.

73,

Murray ZL1BPU
www.qsl.net/zl1bpu