Re: LF: Re: Slow mode comparisons

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Slow mode comparisons
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:20:35 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
   going from QRSS3 to QRSS10, when using Argo, means that the FFT bin
size is 4 times
smaller, and this results in an increase of 6 dB of SNR, provided the
useful signal is still confined into a single bin. 73 Alberto I2PHD

Of course. I was not suggesting there was something magical about slower speeds, or that QRSS10 should be used when signals are strong. It was just that here was a practical demonstration of the huge difference in readability on a signal that was just unreadable in QRSS3. I know the decibels - but here is what it looks like.

The downside is that the whole QSO took two hours!

Several people have defended DFCW as though I had attacked it. I was involved with the discussions when DFCW was first tested, and in suggesting some of the improvements made to it. For the record, I think DFCW is a very useful mode as it greatly speeds up throughput with similar S/N to QRSS. If you look at my pictures, though, you will see that on this particular occasion DFCW was slightly worse than QRSS.

Mike, G3XDV
http://lf.apersonalguide.co.uk