Re: LF: Re: Slow mode comparisons

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Slow mode comparisons
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:07:40 EST
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF Noise-Diggers,

Alberto said:
> the FFT bin size is 4 times smaller, and this results in an increase of 6 dB of SNR.

My half-penny's worth is that the transmitted energy per symbol is 3.3 times larger, giving exactly 5.23 dB improvement ;-) That's assuming that the FFT bandwidth is somewhere near the optimum (0.3 Hz and 0.1 Hz respectively). I'd go with Alan in that DFCW is more reliable than QRSS, even more so when comparing readability at a given WPM throughput.

Selecting the right symbol time for an opening of limited duration is certainly intricate, as shown by last night's ZL-VA attempt. The peak SNR in Scott's image would probably have allowed higher speed, but how do we know if its going to be "short and strong" or "long and weak" tomorrow?

Funny thing about the delay on this reflector; I got a pile of mail after 14:08 this afternoon.

I wish you success and good luck.

73 de Markus, DF6NM