Re: LF: Re: Slow mode comparisons

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Slow mode comparisons
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 20:20:58 EST
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alberto,

a good time of the night to discuss this last 0.8 dB ;-) My reasoning was that when variing the FFT bandwidth around the optimum BW, the readability for a symbol should change only very slightly - otherwise it wouldn't be an optimum in the sense of a zero gradient of merit. If the BW is made a little too large, you do get some more noise but also benefit from a fractional bit of incoherent averaging; on the other hand if it's too small you only gently start to decrease the signal more than the noise. Even at constant receive BW one gains by transmitting slower, eg. 5s instead of 3s DFCW dashes.

73
de Markus, DF6NM

In einer eMail vom 06.03.2005 01:13:58 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt [email protected]:

[email protected] wrote:

>My half-penny's worth is that the transmitted energy per symbol is 3.3
>times larger, giving exactly 5.23 dB improvement ;-) That's assuming
>that the FFT bandwidth is somewhere near the optimum (0.3 Hz and 0.1
>Hz respectively).

Markus,

you are correct, but in an ideal situation. Given that for performance
reasons the FFT works at its best when done
on a sample length which is a power of two, in Argo, when going from
QRSS3 to QRSS10 I multiply the sample length
by four, which causes a reduction of four times of the bin size. This
has the consequence that the noise energy that falls
into a single bin is 6 dB lower, hence the 6 dB gain in SNR.
There are algorithms to perform FFTs on arbitrary sizes, but they are
slower than when working with powers of two.

73  Alberto  I2PHD