LF: Re: Slow mode comparisons

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Slow mode comparisons
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:08:07 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Mike, Mmmm I think it might be "horses for courses" on this one. I
suspect it would depend mainly on the type of noise. I am finding that for
instance John WD2XES and Warren WD2XGJ are transmitting close to one another
and are only about 30 miles apart, so the fading is similar. With lots of
snow on the 30sec slow ARGO screen John is easier to decode with DFCW  than
Warren (QRSS) whose gaps are often filled by the "snow". Certainly the
"slope" of ARGO detection is very steep. I have done some local tests and I
estimate that, with normal band noise, there is only a 3dB difference in
signal level needed to go between "T" and "O". The swap from QRSS3 to QRSS10
is an advantage of about 3dB also. It does point to picking the right mode
for the path, and the conditions.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK