LF: West Coast CW Weekend

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: West Coast CW Weekend
From: "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:11:48 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
Reverting to normal CW for the weekend attracted some new activity to the west coast LF scene. Both Scott (VE7TIL) and myself set our beacons to run 6 wpm CW with a "CQ...QSX 3536 kHz..." loop running while we were in the shack. Several locals, who have been following our LF experiments, took the opportunity to call in and complete two-way crossband CW contacts.

The following stations were involved:

VE7VB - Borge, in Victoria, BC (using one leg of his 80m dipole for rx)
VE7XF - Ralph, in Tsawwassen, BC (160m inv L for rx)
VE7WU - Allan, in Victoria., BC (40m loop for rx)
VE7BDQ - John, in South Delta, BC (HB 8' LF loop)

In addition, reports of solid copy were also received from AA7U, Steve, in SE Oregon (~350 miles) and from Dan, W7OIL, in Southern Washington (~220 miles).

Further crossband activity is being planned for both regular CW and QRSS mode in the hope of promoting new interest in LF and particularly the 2200m band. Such 'on-air' activity provides additional evidence that Canadian amateurs and commercial interests can co-exist on 2200m without causing disruption to the primary users.

73
Steve / VE7SL

Mayne Island, BC

Web: "THE VE7SL RADIO NOTEBOOK" at   http://www.imagenisp.ca/jsm
[L.F. Loops ] [Tuna Tin DX] [H.F. Maritime/Aero DX] [Crystal Radio DXing] [136 kHz Band] [NDB DX]