Re: LF: SL6440

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: SL6440
From: Niels Rudberg Jørgensen <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:26:33 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Craig" <[email protected]>
To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 4:13 PM

Dear LF Group,

I have been considering purchasing the SRA-8 for the first mixer in
a new LF receiver I am designing. This is a passive DBM and is
fairly expensive.  Would I be better off using an SL6440?

73
Joe

Hello!
I have succesfully used the SL6440 mixer in two LF receivers.
First, this active mixer is, although being a bit noisier than a diode mixer
(probably by maybe 3 dB) adequate for LF with respect to noise.
Secondly, it it provides some gain (10 dB or so) instead of the 6-8
dB conversion loss of a passive diode mixer.
Last, but not least, it is satisfied with an oscillator drive of about 1 mW.
The SRA-8, which I assume is a type 2 or type 3 mixer, will require
13 or maybe 23 mW of oscillator drive.
I think the signal handling capability of the SL6440 is comparable to that
of a class 3 diode mixer. Depending on a current setting the third order
intercept
point  will be better than  20 dBm.
But even a good mixer as the SL6440 (by the way: wasn`t this device designed
by
G3RZP?) deserves a decent preceeding bandpass filter!
73
OZ8NJ  Niels+