LF: SL6440

To: LF-Group <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: SL6440
From: Dick Rollema <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:33:07 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
To All from PA0SE

Claudio, IK2PII wrote:

SL6440 is a good mixer, low IMD but high noise. For HF receiver it
require a preamplifier also for 7 MHz band.

I don't agree.  I my own homemade transceiver (see RadCom, Technical Topics, October 2004) I use the SL6440 as the first and second mixer.
Between the antenna and the first mixer is a fixed tuned Cohn bandpass filter with four tuned circuits for each of the bands 10 - 160 m (9 in total). The insertion loss of these filters depends on the band selected and is 2.2dB on 10m.
I find that with a good antenna a preamplifier is only required on 10 and 12m in order to make the noise from outside override the receiver noise.

73, Dick, PA0SE