LF: AR88 etc

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: AR88 etc
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:59:38 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I have tried most of the methods discussed with old receivers like tapping the IF out to another RX but there is no future in chasing old technology. At the time old equipment was adequate for the job, stability and selectivity was not so important and could be overcome by a competent CW operator with a good pair of symetrical ears.
I find that a modern state of the art RX out performs anything that has gone before, for both stability and selectivity and more convenient to use. Some modern receiver not specifically designed for LF ie 137 khz do lack sensitivity but this can be over come by a well designed preamp and good bandpass filter ahead of the RX.
The stability especially those on very slow QRS needs the modern approach.
The pegelmesser device(level meter) especially those with high stability locked oscillators are excellent as LF receivers.
Apart from nostalgia and antique interest ditch the boat anchor and hear and see what is going on with todays technology.

de G3KEV