LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: O copy of RN6BN

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: O copy of RN6BN
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:03:41 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 6:35 PM
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: O copy of RN6BN

> Try a similar antenna system and power as RN6BN and you might succeed.
> Except you are exceptionally lucky and the wind is in the right
direction
> 40ft pole and a 100 ft or so of wire will not do the trick.
> RN6BN considering the distance difference was nearly as strong as you
last
> night !!!!!!!!!! I have heard you stronger in the past.

Dear Mal, LF Group,

The fact that the ZL boys did not see my signals last night comes as no
surprise - in fact, because it was still daylight here, I had to use my
"daytime" antenna configuration, resulting in only about 400mW ERP.
Whether
an extra 4dB to the 1W ERP limit would make a difference I don't know, but
this was not what I found interesting. I suppose one could put the
unsuccessful attempts at receiving ZL6QH in the past down to the fact that
there is virtually no darkness path to ZL from western Europe, whilst, for
RN6BN, being further east means an hour or two when the whole path is in
darkness. However, this would not really explain the negative results
trying
to receive UA0LE in Europe, whilst excellent reception of Ed's signal was
had in ZL. With the big antenna Ed was using, we should have been able to
copy him, even if our signals were too weak for Ed to see. If one accepts
that propagation is via multiple reflections from the lower layers of the
ionosphere, it would seem that a huge number of hops would be required to
cover the distances involved. It seems as if some LF propagation paths
work
much better than others; I would be interested to know why.

I am currently (1730z) transmitting on 137.7035kHz again; RN6BN is "O"
copy
on 137.7026kHz, to the nearest 0.1Hz
I can see you both and you are only slightly stronger than RN6BN, who has
been audible with me since 1600z broad daylight. I mean audible at S7 and
getting stronger. Think of the distance difference!!!!!!!
The reason WHY as you enquire,  is a poor antenna, the old Decca on its own
is not sufficient for the distance to ZL.
In theory 1w erp from a match stick is the same as the same power from a
large array but in reality there is a difference
My choice is 1w erp from a big vertical.
G3KEV

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU