LF: First WOLF QSO!

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: First WOLF QSO!
From: "John Andrews" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:24:19 -0000
Cc: [email protected]
Sender: <[email protected]>
After much trying, Lowfers NC and TAG (671 mile path) have finally succeeded
with the first known WOLF QSO. We had tried this at night a couple of years
ago, but the fading created a lot of missed copy. Testing in December, 2003
encouraged us to work in the daytime, but we just missed a period of good
daylight propagation by waiting until after Christmas. We have been doing
spot checks since, and tried again yesterday, following Dex's good copy of
TAG on Friday. We couldn't make it go in both directions, however, and quit
after a couple of hours.

Following Alan Melia's suggestion that the daytime path might be good two
days after a CME impact, we tried it again this morning. It worked! The
results are spelled out in detail at:
http://webpages.charter.net/w1tag/wolfqso.htm

Thanks to Dex for his patience, to Alan for his advice, and to Stewart
Nelson for writing the program.

John Andrews, W1TAG