LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: First WOLF QSO!

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: First WOLF QSO!
From: "John Andrews" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:57:55 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dave,

We did some tests a couple of years ago involving two similar stations near
each other that were about 1800 km from me. One ran QRSS60, the other WOLF.
I think we did the tests for about a week, and found similar results.
Neither had a clear advantage over that period. The conclusion was that the
effectiveness of WOLF was about the same as QRSS60.

While our QSO of yesterday did not fully exercise WOLF's capability, do
realize that we were receiving 15 characters in a 20 minute period. QRSS60
can't do that!

As originally conceived by Stewart Nelson, the "reference channel" could be
used to exchange signal report information. Neither that nor real-time
decoding has been realized, however. It does remain an interesting mode,
with a number of limitations as listed in Alan Melia's message of this
morning. For U.S. Lowfers, bandwidth is not an issue, and the potential for
anything but very local interference is limited.

I do believe that gps-locked slower BPSK has more potential at LF, and am
slowly working on getting set up for that. Underline the word "slowly,"
though!

John Andrews, W1TAG