Re: LF: Field strength calcs.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Field strength calcs.
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:54:46 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

Jim, M0BMU wrote:

The voltage induced in a loop is:

V = 2.1x10^-8 (fNAE)

where f = frequency (Hz)
        N = number of turns
        A = area (m^2)
        E = field strength (V/m)

Always assuming that the antennas are far enough apart for the loop to be in the "far field" (>1 - 2km seems to be enough)

I think 2km is not quite enough at 73kHz. I calculated the total field over perfect ground at 2km distance by means of a antenna simulation program. I found E/H = 342 ohm. In the far field E/H ought to be 377 ohm  (= 120.pi ohm).  So apparently at 2km the near field is not yet small enough to be negligible.

I found that even at 137kHz measurements were inconsistent at 2km so I changed to over 4km.

73, Dick,  PA0SE