LF: Re: Masts

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Masts
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:20:19 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 9:38 PM
Subject: LF: Masts

.
I have had a week or so off from LF and computers to go and work as a
volunteer guide and ship keeper on board the replica of the HM Bark
Endeavour at Shoreham by Sea harbour. The purpose of bringing it up on the
this reflector was to express my admiration for the 1750s technology of
the
wooden masts.
The main and fore masts are 128ft (39m) and 110ft (33.5m) high
respectively
and constructed in three sections with a large overlap at the two joins.
There is a platform at each join called  'tops' for spreading the shrouds
the higher sections of the mast.
The masts are guyed to the sides of the ship with very thick ropes called
'shrouds', to which thin horizontal 'ratlines' are fixed to make it easy
for
the crew to go aloft.
I found going aloft was quite an experience. The shrouds are under
considerable tension and the feel more secure than climbing a ladder at
the
side of the house. The exciting bit is climbing the overhang (futtock
shrouds) to get on to the tops. While I was up there the crew were setting
the fore mainsail on our minicruise. I think that I would have to be more
used to heights before going out on the yardarm, which must be very
exciting
in heavy weather.
No, they wouldn't let me use the masts for a portable LF station.
There are some pictures on my web site.
MONKEY MAN

   You might recall that a long time ago on this reflector I mentioned a
project that I was involved in away back around 1965. I was a project
engineer at Caneowden near South End on Sea involved at the Marconi site
directing operations at the old radar site that contained some 300 feet
wooden masts. We had a MONKEY MAN that climbed these masts to install
antennas as required and he had a callsign G3L - - and I cannot remember the
full call and  wondered if it was
G3LDO. The above message from G3LDO might indicate that  he was the MONKEY
because of his experience at this sort of climbing and I must say that
indeed he was good. I  would say if this is the same man, he could climb and
dangle from any mast. fixed station or marine even in spite of age. He must
surely be getting on but obviously not lost the touch !! Some morse practice
would be an advantage, suppose you cannot be good at everything.
G3KEV

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>