LF: LF Frequencies for DX

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: LF Frequencies for DX
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:05:04 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
The frequency 137,773.0 was chosen by KL1X for looking for EU stations
earlier this year. This was done after some exchange of .jpg s to find out
where the Loran lines and noise bands were. Loran is a problem in Alaska.
Siince then 137,773.0 has become a 'DX' frequency.
The top of the band is not suitable for many EU stations because of the
problems of very high power stations above 138kHz and other parts of the
band might be more suitable.
What might be a solution is for a 'bank' of Argo pictures (on someone's
website) showing the images from various locations - in fact two images from
each location showing the best and worst- so that anyone planning a test or
a DXpedition could plan their operating frequency for optimum effect to a
given area.
Many USA stations and KL1X have already done this with images of what they
have seen.
A simple statement could be enough. for example if the band is clear except
for one or two spot frequencies then that might be enough.
In my case the top of the band above 137.5kHz fills up with noise from the
'Luxembourg effect' most evenings although it didn't stop me seeing UA9OC
when conditions were good.
Generally:
Split frequency operation is essential for DX operating.
The top of the band is OK for Northern EU stations to transmit but not to
receive.

Any more?

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO