Re: LF: Re: UA9 expedition and DX operating

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: UA9 expedition and DX operating
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:08:10 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello group,

just some ideas regarding the optimalisation of QRS speed for long distance tests (skeds) :

1. DFCW will speed up things by a factor 3

2. For QRSS with rather long dotlengths (10-30 sec.) and using "full break-in" it should be possible to indicate when the other station can increase speed (or has to decrease). It could be agreed that sending a "dot" just above the TX frequency means "speed up" while sending a carrier just below means "speed down".
An example :
Assume a sked between M0BMU and UA9OC, both starting at 30 sec./dot. M0BMU transmitting on 137770.0Hz and UA9OC transmitting on 137772.0Hz. Next assume that M0BMU starts transmitting his own call. If UA9OC receives the "M0" at good strength he could transmit a 30 sec. dot on 137770.2Hz during the pause between the "0" and "B" (that pause takes 180 sec. at 30 sec/dot, so a 30 sec. dot fits in well) . M0BMU know that he can speed up to 10 sec/dot (starting with the next character "B"). Now M0BMU is transmitting at 10 sec/dot but later the QSO propagation is fainting, UA9OC can indicate that by sending a 30 sec. dot on 137769.8Hz so M0BMU knows that he has to go back to 30 sec/dot (the 30 sec. "indicator" just fits in a pause at 10 sec/dot). I know that the above sounds a bit complicated, but it would allow an optimal "use of propagation".

73, Rik  ON7YD